Friday, June 06, 2008

Customer service and the visitor experience

When I was shopping my book around to publishers, I often got the same response, "We already have too many customer service books." This was a bit frustrating to me because, in my mind, there was only one chapter (of 14) that dealt with customer service specifically. And while I have always considered customer service to be a critical component of the visitor experience, I do think it's a subset of the larger experience. (Imagine a brightly colored Venn diagram here, for those of you who like consultants who come up with diagrams.)

After hearing that from so many publishers, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find that clients are asking for customer service training more than any other type. After an initial training session late last fall, I'm now coaching a client who is developing an in-house training plan and manual. We're looking for any great examples of customer service training at cultural institutions. If you have one, or know of a great example, please post a comment here. We'd love to hear more.

I'll be posting tips here, and also some highlights from the customer service session I'll be presenting in Anchorage at the Western Museums Association conference in September.

Tip of the day: If you're answering the phone, smile before you pick it up. It changes your brain chemistry, making you more open and helpful, as well as warming up the tone of your voice.
Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

  1. I work at a children's museum and we are looking for customer service training models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,
    I will keep you posted. So far, I'm not finding anything juicy but I will keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might look at the Guest Service Workshop program at the Museum of Science in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan, I will check it out. I had heard that they were revamping this and will do some research.

    ReplyDelete